Year 3 - Miss P Murphy
Autumn Term 2018
Welcome to class TMY4
Hello and welcome to Miss Murphy’s Year 4 class where we hope to have a superb year ahead! Mrs Taylor is our ETA support.
Things to remember:
- Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing! Please record which page your child has read to and also when they have finished a book so we know when to change it.
- Times tables – This year it’s especially important that your child learns their times tables because a national test for Year 4 pupils is being introduced in June 2019. Children should spend 5 minutes each day learning their times tables at home to boost regular practice in class. Children are expected to know their times tables up to x12 by the end of Year 4. Fluency in times tables will really help with answering calculations quickly and efficiently.
- Spellings - Our spelling test is on Monday. New spellings are sent home on the previous Monday, so make sure you help your child practice them ready for their test the following week.
- PE is on Mondays and Thursdays, so make sure your child comes to school with their PE kit – T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions.
- Celebration assembly is at 2.15pm on Friday – Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along any week.
Literacy – We will be reading The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry. This is a story about the decision to cut down a tree in the Amazon rainforest and the impact this could have on the animals and plants that live there. From reading this we will aim to improve our writing skills and build on our sentences, writing narrative pieces, creating poetry and writing in role.
Maths – We will begin with number and place value, including Roman numerals. After working on our counting skills, we will progress to adding and subtracting.
Science – This term we are looking at living things and their habitats, giving us an opportunity to link our findings with the rainforest topic. We will look at classification and habitats, investigating why animals live where they do.
Art and DT- We will develop our art techniques, using them to create an image of the rainforest. We will also look at the work and style of artist Henri Rousseau.
Computing - We will learn a range of key skills to develop software.
French – We will revisit greetings and learn to how begin a simple conversation.
Music - Our focus this term is on musical patterns.
RE - We will be looking at worship, rituals and ways of life of people from different faiths.
PHSE – We will be following the “Jigsaw” scheme and investigating our place in the world and the local school community.
Please help your child meet their targets by taking an interest in what they are doing in school and helping them when they need it!
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see me at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.