Year 3/4 - Mr K Patel & Mrs N Dale
Y3/4 Mr Patel & Mrs Dale
Welcome to class KPNDY3/4
Hello and welcome to Mr Patel and Mrs Dale’s Year 3/ class, where we hope to have a superb year!
Mrs Schofield and Mrs Dean are the support staff who help us with our learning
Things to remember:
- Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing!
- Times tables - Your child should spend 5 minutes each day to learn their times tables. This will really help with answering the calculations they need to solve.
- Our spelling test is on Friday. New spellings are sent home the previous Monday, so make sure you help your child practice them ready for their test.
- Homework will be set every Friday and will be an extension of what the children have been learning about in school. Please ensure homework is completed and returned to school by the following Monday.
- Swimming is on Monday morning, so make sure your child comes to school with their swimming costume (swimsuit for girls, trunks or lycra shorts, not long shorts for boys), hat and towel. Remember, if your child wears earrings, they are not allowed to swim with them in, so we advise you to take them out before coming to school. Hats are on sale at the office for £1.50.
- PE is on Thursday afternoon so make sure your child comes to school with their PE kit - T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions. No football shirts, please.
- Celebration assembly is on a Friday afternoon - Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along any week.
Autumn term 2
Literacy We will be reading ’10 thinks I can do to help my world’ by Melanie Walsh Anderson this half term.
We will be looking at a range of writing including narratives, letter writing and information texts.
Children will have regular opportunities to have a go at writing their own.
We will be learning how sentences are structured and having plenty of practice in our writing, helps develop writing further.
Maths We will be continuing working on place value and addition and subtraction to help build fluency in Maths. We will move on to multiplication and division.
Science We will be learning about forces and magnets this half term. We will look at forces in action around us, as well as forces that act on us. We will learn about how magnets are used to help us with our everyday lives.
Topic Our topic this half term is called cogs and levers. Children will learn about different mechanical systems and the way they are arranged to serve a purpose. Children will move on to design, build and evaluate their own mechanical system as part of their D & T project.
Computing Children will learn about what bugs are and how to fix them. They will develop strategies for finding errors in programs. They will be able to de-bug a programme and get it to function in the proper manner.
French Children will learn the days of the week, naming colours, counting between 11 and 20, naming countries and expressing likes and dislikes.
RE Children will learn to understand the challenges of commitment to a community of faith or belief, suggesting why belonging to a community may be valuable, both in the diverse communities being studied and in their own lives.
Pupils explore how festivals use the theme of light to represent the triumph of good over evil in a range of religious and secular traditions. Pupils will also Pupils study the beliefs and teachings of Islam, Judaism, Humanism and Christianity on charity and generosity and make links with the work of charities.
PHSE We will be following the school PHSE scheme “Jigsaw”. We will look at
Celebrating differences. Children will learn that people will have a different opinion to ours. They will learn how to address those issues without being offensive. They will learn about how words can affect how we feel, and how we make others feels.
PE Children will be learning and playing different invasion games and how strategy and teamwork are important when playing invasion games.
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see us at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.